My Career Trajectory
After 15 years in corporate human resources, I started Workplace Solutions (1998) as a solution to my own career issue: the need for more balance and flexibility in my professional and family lives. I’m a natural entrepreneur and successfully transitioned my HR career at Verizon to launch Workplace Solutions, a human resources consulting practice supported by anchor clients such as Verizon, Bell South International and Coca-Cola Enterprises. Nine years later, I grew restless with HR consulting and began to investigate another direction.
At 48, I made a pivotal turn in my career trajectory. I commuted from Tampa to Philadelphia to attend the University of Pennsylvania’s Master of Applied Positive Psychology Program. My studies at Penn focused on answering the question, “What makes life worthwhile?” We examined subjects related to positive emotions, relationships, meaning, achievement, vitality and the benefits of being a part of something bigger than ourselves. I expanded my career path combining a Master of Applied Positive Psychology degree with HR experience and grew my consulting practice to include career and leadership coaching.
- Certified – Senior Human Resource Professional (SPHR)
- Certified SHRM-SCP by the Society of Human Resources Professionals
- Certified – Myers-Briggs Personality Indicator (MBTI)
- Certified – Emotional Intelligence Practitioner (TalentSmart)
- Certified – Positive Psychology Coach (Positive Acorn)
- Certified – Positive Psychology Practitioner (CAPP) Flourishing Center
- Master Applied Positive Psychology (MAPP) | University of Pennsylvania
- University of Pennsylvania Secondary School Selection Interviewer (2008 – 2013)
- University of Pennsylvania Interviewer for Master of Applied Positive Psychology (2008-2013)
- Facilitator – Military Resilience Training | Penn Positive Psychology Center (2010)
- Frequent speaker on career matters, interviewing, resumes, positive psychology and strengths-based management practices in the workplace and Encore careers
- Workshop presenter at University of South Florida, Muma College of Business, School of Accounting (2014, 2015, 2016)
- Leadership Coach and Résumé Specialist at BetterUp.co
On the Personal Side
Ask anyone who knows me, I’m passionate about my work as a career consultant and executive coach. I love what I do. My enthusiasm is contagious and often affects my clients in positive ways. I love to learn, collect information and share the latest research and trends; but my vocation is only a part of me. I’m an avid reader. Contemporary fiction, psychology and memoirs are among my favorites. I’ve been in a book club for over 20 years. I love nature and try my best to be a good steward of the environment. I spend a lot of time outdoors, especially in my garden where I grow herbs, orchids and battle weeds! Inside, the kitchen is one of my favorite rooms where I enjoy creating “one pot wonders” of comfort food for family and friends.
But here’s what’s most important to know about me, I did not simply study positive psychology, I live it: I meditate, pray and set intentions every morning. I practice yoga twice a week. I exercise three days a week. I take time to savor the good things that happen and make time to connect with family and friends in meaningful ways.
I’ve been happily married to Richard A. Jacobson, Sr. for 34 years. He’s my “steadfast tin soldier”. Richard is a partner at a national law firm. Our son, Rick Jacobson is a resident surgeon and researcher in Chicago, IL.
Paying it Forward
I am grateful to my friends, relatives (especially Dad) and mentors who have helped me along the way. I strive to pay their kindness and generosity forward. My community service projects have varied through the years from delivering for Meals-on-Wheels to helping underserved and unemployed individuals in the Tampa Bay community and at Metropolitan Ministries with workshops, résumé advice, and interview tips.
I also volunteer at EncoreTampaBay.com and Encore Academy where I present programs serving the needs of Baby Boomers seeking second careers and career transitions.